One of my best friends is training for the D.C. Marine Corps Marathon this Sunday, and I made her dinner as a tasty farewell sendoff! She's on a pretty strict diet for health issues (no gluten, dairy or sugar.... sweet pete!) so I had to get crafty doctoring a recipe that fit within the parameters while still being delicious. I thought since it's so chilly outside that a hearty soup would be nice to start, and I had a bunch of carrots from the farmer's market earlier this week so I decided on Carrot Ginger soup. Can't leave out the protein for someone who runs as much as Elise does, so baked chicken and veggies were added to the menu!
1 box vegetable broth (low sodium preferred!)
15 whole carrots, peeled and chopped in half
1 sweet onion, 1/2 finely chopped and 1/2 quartered
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp each salt & fresh ground pepper
1/2 sweet onion, quartered
5-7 button mushrooms, sliced
1 red or orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Trim fat from chicken and massage with 1 tbsp olive oil. Juice 1/2 of lemon over chicken and season both sides with salt and pepper. Put marinated chicken in plastic bag and let sit in the fridge until oven is heated.
3. Fill large pot with vegetable broth and add carrots, finely chopped 1/2 of the onion and ginger. Boil until carrots are soft, about 20 minutes.
4. While vegetables are boiling, transfer marinated chicken to an oven-safe pan and add the chopped onions, mushrooms and bell pepper around it.
5. Roast the chicken and veggies for 15 minutes and then flip the chicken and roast other side for another 15 minutes.
6. While chicken bakes and once the carrots in the pot have turned soft, transfer the pot's contents to a blender in small batches. Puree until smooth. Transfer back into the pot and heat on low until chicken is fully cooked (juices should run clear).
7. Pour soup into bowls and plate the chicken and veggies in a fancy fashion.
8. Enjoy your relatively cheap, very simple and incredibly delicious meal!